Can you get rid of food cravings?
Food craving treatment by phone?
I’m partial to alternative treatments and medicine as a complement to modern medicine. In dealing with a very real and present addiction to caffeine, it’s not surprising that I jumped at the offer to try out food craving sessions over the phone with Kara Sorenson, a licensed acupuncturist from California.
Kara was a true pro. Here’s how it went:
- She sent me a Word doc. with questions about my food cravings, general health, family/personal medical history and personal habits.
- I completed the questionnaire and returned it to her before our phone call.
- During our first phone call, we talked about my major craving (COFFEE!) and both the emotional, physical and mental beliefs behind the food addiction for about 15 minutes.
- Kara then guided me through a series of questions and taught me to self-apply particular acupressure points.
- As I held acupressure points and repeated key phrases that I had chosen, the strength of former thoughts and beliefs lessened.
- The next day, my craving for caffeine (COFFEE!) was gone.
Kara holds food craving sessions over the phone and works out of direct experience. She told me:
” I had food cravings for years, and studied nutrition to ‘try’ figure them out, then Chinese Medicine. I now help others with their food cravings. I mostly use my acupressure technique with my patients…Although I have a great technique for working with cravings, I find that there is a lot shame around food cravings that make it hard to reach those that could benefit from my work.”
Each of Kara’s phone sessions take about an hour, but she recommends that you allow an extra fifteen minutes just in case you go deeper into a particular direction. Also, you’ll need privacy and you may feel tired or energized after the session, so plan the time after accordingly.
After our first session, Kara worked with me both via email and phone for another 20 minutes…to help wrap up our session. I admire her simple, yet effective method and believe that you can really dig down deep to help resolve cravings. But, what happened the next days after our sessions? My initial thoughts and beliefs about my food addiction were replaced by others! And my “need for coffee” returned.
In general, I feel that acupressure for food cravings is effective. However, in my personal experience … there is no end to the complexity and mystery of the mind. Thoughts spring from a place deep, deep inside of ourselves…and dissolving the power of one thought will lead to the strengthening of another. Anyone who has observed themselves in meditation can confer. So, where does this leave us?
I don’t really know.
Working with Kara helped me first of all make conscious thoughts that I did not know I held about coffee. Surprised me. And I DID feel the effect of these thoughts losing ground. In the end, I think that anything that helps us get to know ourselves better is valuable…worth our time and energy. So, acupressure for food cravings might just be a “practice” instead of a one or two-time deal. What do you think?
Kara’s contacts: 415.819.8172
Photo credit: Nat20_Film