Healthy living in Christian addiction recovery
Living a full and healthy life is possible in addiction recovery. So, if you are a Christian, how can/does sanctification work? We explore here. Then, we invite your questions or comments at the end.
Sanctification after addiction
Everyone should focus on living a healthy life, but it’s all the more important for people struggling with addiction. An addiction is often obsessive and ritualistic in nature, and for those who struggle, a lack of routine can make it easy for them to relapse. Often, it’s very easy to trade one addiction for another.
For these reasons, it is important to strive for structure; it brings awareness and helps to develop safe barriers. When recovering from addiction, seeking sanctification through God’s principles is vital. But how can you do this?
What is sanctification?
Sanctification prepares us to align ourselves with God’s principles; it gives us life through our mind, body and spirit. When we’re on the road to recovery, sanctification is our key to a better quality of life.
Here are a few ways to operate in sanctification:
1. Study the Truth in Sanctification found in God’s word, just as we did above. 2 Corinthians 5:17 tells us, “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation” (ESV). You don’t have to be the same person any more; you can be a new creation.
2. Be bold and write down the truths over your life, read them and claim them daily. Wake up each and every day ready to move forward.
3. Make time for physical activity each day. Your strength comes from taking care of your body and making sure it is sustained.
4. Work on learning more about healthy living and search out resources on recovery.
5. Be honest about your struggle, but strive to remain positive about your recovery. The words that we use about our current situation have power over the choices we make in the future.
Become an inspiration to others
Know that we are all overcoming obstacles, and when we shine through sanctification, we’re telling others that they can do the same. A life of joy, peace and balance becomes easier each day as we focus on what each step can teach us.
Focus on sanctification as you walk through recovery and know that a healthy and fulfilling life is up ahead!
In your service,
Photo credit: mossi889