Tuesday August 14th 2018

Trusted Helpline
Help Available 24/7

Does health insurance cover alcohol abuse treatment or rehab?


Insurance coverage for alcohol abuse treatment

Depending on your insurance company and policy, alcohol abuse treatment or rehab may or  not be covered. However, more and more health insurance companies are recognizing substance abuse as a mental health problem that needs treated. To find out if your health insurance company covers alcohol abuse treatment or rehab, read your policy’s benefits guide or contact the company directly.

Does insurance cover alcohol abuse treatment or rehab?

Most people’s health insurance policies will not cover all alcohol abuse treatment or rehab expenses. Typically, you’ll still have some out-of-pocket costs.  Here are some tips on paying for alcohol abuse treatment using insurance.

1. Before checking into an alcohol abuse treatment or rehab facility, check with your insurance company to find out if you’ll need to pay a co-pay, deductible, or coinsurance..

2. A health insurance co-pay is usually a set dollar amount, and can range from $10 to $50 or more. If your plan requires you to pay a coinsurance, you will usually be required to pay for a certain percentage of alcohol abuse rehab.

3. Finally, if you have a health insurance deductible, you’ll be required to pay for any medical bills up to a certain amount before your insurance will start covering them.

If your insurance company denies your claim for alcohol rehab, you should first determine whether this type of treatment is covered under your policy. You can also try to appeal your insurance company’s decision by following the steps for an appeal closely. Evidence that treatment is medically necessary or that you were unfairly denied coverage should be included with your appeal.

Trusted Helpline
Help Available 24/7
1-888-882-1456 Who Answers?
For those seeking addiction treatment for themselves or a loved one, the AddictionBlog.org helpline is a private and convenient solution. Caring advisors are standing by 24/7 to discuss your treatment options.
Calls to any general helpline (non-facility specific 1-8XX numbers) for your visit (IP: will be answered by American Addiction Centers (AAC) or a paid sponsor.

Alcohol abuse treatment or rehab with no insurance

If you find yourself in a situation where you need alcohol abuse treatment or rehab with no health insurance, all hope is not lost. You can still get the treatment you need, usually regardless of your financial situation.

Here are a few options you can look into if you need alcohol addiction treatment or rehab with no insurance.

Alcohol rehab financing

Some facilities may offer in-house financing for some. If you qualify for financing, you will be able to make payments toward the cost of your alcohol abuse treatment. Securing financing is generally contingent upon a credit check, however.

Government assistance

Low-income individuals may also qualify for government assistance programs, such as Medicaid, which can cover the cost of alcohol rehab.  Otherwise, call your state’s Department of Health and Human Services for more information drug abuse programs whose costs are offset by federal funding.

Non-profit organizations

A handful of non-profit organizations offer free or reduced cost alcohol abuse treatment or rehab. Two of these groups include the Salvation Army and the United Way.  Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and SMART Recovery are free self-help groups that has helped many people overcome their alcohol addiction.

Sliding scale fee treatment centers

Many alcohol rehab facilities offer sliding scale fees to individuals who need treatment but are unable to pay for it out-of-pocket. Your fees will be based on your income, and you’ll typically only pay what you can reasonably afford.

Medical insurance for alcohol abuse treatment or rehab questions

Taking those first steps toward overcoming an alcohol addiction can be nerve wracking, to say the least, especially if you’re unsure whether your health insurance will cover the cost. If you still have concerns or questions about alcohol rehab and insurance, feel free to leave them in the comments section below. We strive to help each and every one of our readers work toward getting the help that they need.

Reference Sources: Wisconsin Department of Health Services: Benchmark Plan-Covered Services and Co-pays
Blue Cross and Blue Shield FEP
Health Insurance: What If Your Health Insurance Doesn’t Cover a Test or Procedure? What Can You Do?
ASPE: Affordable Care Act Expands Mental Health and Substance Use Disorder Benefits and Federal Parity Protections for 62 Million Americans
Treatment Solutions: Does Health Insurance Cover Drug Treatment or Rehab?
Legislative Analyst’s Office: Review of Health Coverage for Substance Abuse Treatment
SAMHSA: Acceptance of Private Health Insurance in Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities

Leave a Reply

6 Responses to “Does health insurance cover alcohol abuse treatment or rehab?
8:43 am December 2nd, 2014

At present. modern society are addicted on various alcoho. But we want a beter life . So we have to remove our addiction . These site are helpful for us. Thanks for sharing this tips.

12:38 pm December 3rd, 2014

Hi Jennifer. Thanks for your feedback. It really helps. 😉

5:53 am March 8th, 2015

Otherwise, call your state’s Department of Health and Human Services for more information drug abuse programs whose costs are offset by federal funding

4:05 pm March 9th, 2015

Thank you! That’s very useful info. Thanks for sharing.

11:45 pm January 3rd, 2016

Need help for 50 yr old son who is addicted to alcohol. Lost his job because of it . Has cirrhosis of liver, kidney cancer, which he had surgery for but won’t be considered cancer free for 2 more years. His insurance won’t cover and we are on social security and every facility we have checked wants 7500.00 a month which is about 3x more than we get. He lives in FL. We live in MI. Is there any help. Dr says he is 4 mo from needing liver transplant which he wouldn’t get because of alcohol use.

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
12:15 pm January 5th, 2016

Hi, Tryry. I’d suggest you call the helpline displayed on our site to get in touch with our trusted treatment providers who can help your son access an adequate treatment program.
Also, you may try SAMHSA’s treatment locator: https://findtreatment.samhsa.gov/TreatmentLocator/faces/geographicSearch.jspx You can add more details like insurance, location, sex, etc in order to find an adequate treatment facility.

Leave a Reply

Trusted Helpline
Help Available 24/7