What happens in a Christian rehab?
If you or a loved one is seeking a Christian setting for drug rehabilitation, the sooner you get help, the better. In fact, treatment outcomes show higher levels of success for early intervention during the beginning phases of drug addiction. But what are some of the rules that are a part of Christian drug rehab? What can you expect?
We review the philosophy behind treatment in a Christian drug rehab setting, as well as a list of common rules you can expect. Then, we invite your questions about rehab at the end. In fact, we try to respond to all questions personally and promptly.
The Christian philosophy behind recovery
A Christian drug rehab center approaches drug addiction from a spiritual point of view. Treatment providers of such programs tend to view addiction the need for renewed dedication to spiritual and religious practice. In Christian rehab settings, you’ll learn how to re-integrate parts of spiritual and religious practice (those that were missing) back into your life. Connecting to God, the philosophy teaches, can change behavior and fill lives with spiritual joy.
NOTE: Independent studies have found that most of the Americans believe that faith helps addicts most effectively, especially when combined with a full program of addiction recovery, which includes psychotherapy and behavioral interventions.
Rules of most Christian drug rehab centers
Most Christian rehab facilities combine recovery and teaching of their religious faith into their programs. Treatment program rules vary depending on the facility, however, here are ten (10) rules that are usually practiced during Christian, faith-based addiction treatment that you can expect:
10 expectations during Christian rehab
- There is usually a verification of the items that you bring with you. No drugs, alcohol or other stimulants are allowed. Possession of any substance will be dealt with in a serious manner.
- You should inform the treatment provider if you use medicine or are on prescription medication regimen before arriving at rehab. The rehab will manage medication administration upon admission.
- Usually, all meals are provided by the center. Food, some toiletries, or cigarettes may not be allowed as “gifts” from your family or friends.
- Christian drug rehab centers pay attention to the clothes you bring and verify whether, or not, they correspond with the standards of their treatment (T-shirts with Satanic symbols or drug related shirts are not permitted).
- As a matter of precaution, visitors may not be allowed for the first 6-8 weeks. Only direct family members will be allowed to visit. Arrangements need to be made in advance and family visits communicated and approved by rehab staff.
- The language used through the recovery program should be appropriate. No swearing, blasphemy, or the use of any abusive words are encouraged.
- Christian music and literature is recommended during the stay.
- Random drug testing will commonly be carried out regularly.
- Participation in religious activities, allocated work, and assigned tasks are required.
- Smoking is usually not allowed inside the facility. Outside areas are intended for smokers.
Ongoing Support After Recovery
Ongoing support after ending the treatment program is one of the benefits of Christian drug rehab. After treatment in a rehab setting, it is important that you are integrated into regular church attendance and regulary attend other Christian groups and services. Continuous communication with your mentors will help you stay sober. You will be encouraged to attend Christian 12-step groups, like Celebrate Recovery, and you will also be encouraged to remain actively involved in your church.
Christian drug rehab center rules question
We hope we’ve outlined some of the common rules and expectations of Christian drug rehab centers. If not, we invite your questions below. We try to respond to all legitimate questions with a personal and prompt response.