Long term effects of Ambien addiction (INFOGRAPHIC)
Long term effects of Ambien addiction
Ambien (zolpidem) is highly addictive, so it’s usually not prescribed for periods longer than 4 weeks. More here on how you become addicted to Ambien and its risks.
Addiction = Can occur when users do not follow doctor’s recommendations or when the drug is taken for reasons unrelated to sleeplessness, but used by addicts to get high.
Mechanism of Ambien action
1. Ambien binds to the alpha 1 subunit (BZ1 – or w 1-receptor subtypes) of the GABA(A) receptor associated with sleep promotion.
2. Ambien potentiates GABA-ergic transmission, increases the frequency of chloride channel opening, resulting in the inhibition of neuronal excitation, eventually causing sedation.
3. In higher doses it binds the alpha(2), alpha(3) & alpha(5) subunits.
How addictive is Ambien?
The risk of Ambien addiction is HIGH. Ambien can cause strong cravings and drug-seeking behavior. It causes addiction by creating physical and psychological dependence.
Is damage caused by Ambien permanent or reversible?
Permanent damage Ambien can cause
- acute allergic reactions
- acute kidney failure
- angina pectoris, heart attack
- glaucoma, loss of sight
- liver damage
- memory loss
- respiratory failure
Reversible damage Ambien can cause
- dry mouth, tooth caries
- rhinitis, nose bleeding, sinusitis, ear inflammations
- skin color change
How does Ambien addiction affect you?
Ambien effects on health
- alters the memory
- damages the immune system
- increases chances for fatal outcome
- induces states of amnesia
Ambien effects on work
- concentration difficulties
- reduced attention capacity
- slow reflexes
Ambien effects on self esteem
- decreased self-esteem
- suicidal thoughts or actions
- worsening of depression
Ambien effects on relationship
- emotional liability
- may lead to interpersonal conflicts
- more aggressive behavior