Saturday January 20th 2018

Trusted Helpline
Help Available 24/7

Drug or alcohol addiction treatment without insurance


Drug or alcohol addiction treatment without insurance is costly. There’s really no way around that. For example, outpatient addiction treatment averages about $135 per day. Inpatient and residential facilities average about $700+ per day, but these centers need to charge more to make up for the cost of housing and feeding several individuals each day. Health insurance covers treatment costs and can help those who have it.

But if you have your heart set on inpatient drug or alcohol addiction treatment, there are a few different places you can turn to for financial help. You can look into centers that allow sliding scale payments, Medicaid and Medicare and other health insurance policies. But, what do you do when you have no health insurance coverage? In this article, we’ll attempt to point you in the right direction. Then, we invite your questions about help paying for drug or alcohol rehab with no insurance at the end.

Drug or alcohol rehab without insurance

Paying for drug or alcohol rehab without insurance is possible. In fact, thousands of uninsured people do it each year, often using one or more of the following resources.

1. Savings accounts

If you’re the type of person to save up for a rainy day, it may be time to break into your stash. Depending on how much you have in savings, you may be able to pay for some or even all of your drug or alcohol addiction treatment without insurance.

2. Loans

Trusted Helpline
Help Available 24/7

Borrowing money to pay for drug or alcohol rehab is completely acceptable, provided that you pay it back. You may be able to borrow money from trusting friends or family members, or get a loan from a financial institution. You can also borrow money from retirement accounts and life insurance policies.

3. Financing addiction treatment facilities

Some drug or alcohol addiction treatment facilities allow their clients to finance some or all of their treatment through them. This means that you’ll be required to make manageable payments to the facility over a period of time to cover the cost of treatment.

4. Sliding scale fees

Many drug or alcohol addiction treatment facilities offer sliding scale fees to clients that are unable to pay for the entire cost of treatment out-of-pocket. These are reduced fees based on your ability to pay. Income is the most common factor used to determine your sliding scale fees. Other factors include household size and additional household income.

5. Government programs

Low-income households may also qualify for free medical care, including drug or alcohol treatment, through some government programs, particularly Medicaid. The eligibility requirements for this program vary by state and county, but income and expenses of your entire household are the most important factors. Contact your local county assistance office or your state’s department of health and human services to find out if you might qualify for Medicaid.

6. Non-profit organizations

Community and national non-profit organizations sometimes offer payment assistance to individuals in need of drug or alcohol treatment without insurance. Some may even offer the actual treatment itself for free to anyone who needs it.

7. Choosing less expensive options

The cost of alcohol or drug addiction treatment will be determined by a couple important factors, including what type of treatment you choose. Selecting an outpatient addiction treatment center can significantly reduce your cost.

No insurance drug or alcohol addiction treatment centers

With no insurance, drug and alcohol addiction treatment centers may seem hard to find. However, this isn’t usually the case. In fact, many addiction treatment facilities accept clients who don’t have health insurance. The key is to know where to look and who to talk to. Here are some resources who can help:

  • Medical professionals, such as doctors and nurses, will often be able to give you referrals to drug and alcohol addiction treatment facilities that may be able to help you.
  • You can also contact a few different addiction treatment facilities in your area and ask if they may be able to help.
  • Licensed clinical social workers can connect you with low cost treatment in your area, as well as important community services such as support groups, social services, and low fee counseling.
  • Drug and alcohol addiction treatment facilities that offer sliding scale fees and other types of payment assistance can also found using the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration substance abuse treatment facility locator. This can be found online on their website at

No insurance drug or alcohol addiction treatment questions

If you have any additional questions about no insurance drug or alcohol addiction treatment, feel free to leave them in the comments section below. We strive to help all of our readers during every step of the addiction treatment process, and we’ll do our best to point you in the right direction.

Reference Sources: SAMHSA: Free Substance Abuse Treatment
SAMHSA: Behavioral Health Treatment Services Locator
NCBI: Chapter 5. Outpatient Treatment Financing Options and Strategies
SAMHSA: Acceptance of Private Health Insurance in Substance Abuse Treatment Facilities

Leave a Reply

35 Responses to “Drug or alcohol addiction treatment without insurance
1:54 pm January 15th, 2016

I’m afraid my sister Jody is going to die she is an alcoholic. She took it on her own to go cold turkey n has managed to quit for a year But she had been getting the dts n she can’t handle the sickness so she has started drinking again not as much but she is drinking again. We have tried every place we know of but only to be denied time n time again cuz of no insurance. We use to have boas that would have helped but they have all been closed down. She works at McDonald’s but has managed to keep. A job But she www ants to quit but can’t handle the sickness. We live in salt lake city Utah. She’s 48 n desperate for help. She doesn’t qualify for a loan. N we don’t know any one that can borrow her the money. So we have run out of options. So anything that u can suggest to us Wil be grateful I’m afraid that she can die if she doesn’t get help. She has been an alcoholic for 4/ years n I’m not sure how much longer her liver is going to go. She does have yellowing of the skin n she smells like alcihiol even usage hasn’t had a drink yet.

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
12:51 am February 2nd, 2016

Hi, Susie. If you are looking for addiction treatment, call our trusted treatment hotline, our consultants can help you make the best decision for your sister. Or you may try SAMHSA’s treatment locator:

4:16 pm March 4th, 2016

I need a fred rehabe I have no ins no help 30days in house please help need to get in today please. Are code 30705 Dalton GA please help

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
2:17 pm March 8th, 2016

Hi Stacey. Why don’t you call the helpline on our site? Our treatment consultants may help you find a treatment program that fits your needs. Also, you can search treatment facilities at SAMHSA’s treatment locator here:

11:01 am April 15th, 2016

I am a 27 year old mother of 2, full time college student working toward my PhD and I also work full time. And I’m addicted to percoset. I take about 40 to 60mg a day for the last 8 months, before that I was taking about 30mgs a day for 2 years. It started with severe dental issues that I couldn’t afford to fix ( periodontal disease) that caused me to have to take a percoset before every meal, brushing my teeth or going to bed Bcuz if I didn’t the damage done to the nerves in my gums would radiate for hours.. but now it’s turned into something needed to make it through my day as a functional human being! I’ve stopped cold turkey once about a 1 1/2 years into using and it was horrible, it took weeks but I made it for a couple of months, only to start back up for reasons I can even understand. Either way that was over a year ago and it’s not to the point that within hours of not using I’m in full blown withdrawal. I was tapering which was somewhat easier other than the fact that restless legs and hot/cold sweats and lack of sleep had me on the brink of jumping back in until I got a legitimate flu,, a very bad one in my area that landed me in the hospital and exaggerated every one of my symptoms . I started to withdraw in the hospital ( not to mention try meds they have me caused restless legs to turn into restless body syndrome ( worse feeling ever!) So I signed myself out and I’m home again. I’m afraid to actually seek help from a facility Bcuz if it follows my into my career life the profession I’m in school for now will never come true! Is there a way of getting a hold of suboxen or something else without a documented trail???

9:17 am April 25th, 2016

My son is on herion ice zanaxs he’s a social addict whatever the drug is he does I get calls all during the night saying they scared he’s od and he’s on zanaxs and mixing it in a needle with ice and herion I’m scared he’s going to do one zanaxs to many and a bad shot of ice or her ion and it’s going to kill him or damage him my daughter talk to her deseased grandmothers lawyer at Walmart and he said the way my son was acting we could have him committed he was a danger to his self my son needs to go to a medically assisted rehab he can’t do it cold turkey he will try and run if he don’t get some kind of meds well my son got out of prison several months ago while he was in there he earned a welding degree my son’s very smart but hooked on drugs I’m scared my son’s going to end up dying I don’t have the money to send him to rehab I’m on disability and he need a medically assisted rehab he has no job and he needs to be in one like yesterday please if you can help my son before he die…

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
7:19 pm May 11th, 2016

Hi Kimberly. Why don’t you call the number you see on the site? Our trusted treatment consultant may help you son access a treatment program that fits his needs.

12:43 pm September 20th, 2016

I need treatment. I am also in a violent, sad living arrangement with my 83 yr. Old senile, crazy, Mean dad. I have spoke to him abiut me going to get help for myself.& the way he can gulilt me, etc. More than i want to think about. I have no ties to okc. Definitely nit want to live here . Not a felon yet , fhere is someone looking over me thats for sure. Please try and give me some options for a food treatment cdnter for someone like me , no money, insurance, hope, etc. I am 46., sick and too big of a coward to kill mysekf. Had my dads gun n my mouth twice since 2013. 2 months ago heing the recent time. I am scared. I have no one!.

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
1:44 pm September 23rd, 2016

Hi Susan. You’ve been through a lot. I’d suggest you to call the helpline displayed on the website to get in touch with a trusted treatment consultant.

4:04 am February 16th, 2017

My daughter has no assurance and is a opiates addict. She lives in Florida. She has hit rock bottom and has no job. She wants to get into a detox center but has no money. Neither do I . What are her options? Thanks

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
3:34 pm March 3rd, 2017

Hi Valerie. Call the helpline displayed on the website to speak with a trusted treatment consultant.

2:42 am February 22nd, 2017

My brother has no insurance and is very addicted to herion what are his options for inpatient care

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
7:07 pm February 22nd, 2017

Hi Olivia. I suggest that you call a toll-free Heroin Helpline on 1-888-988-7934 to get in touch with trusted and confidential helpline professionals available 24/7. You will speak to a sympathetic, well-trained individual who can help you find a reliable recovery program that will meet your brother’s treatment needs.

7:40 pm March 20th, 2017

I need help with my drug addiction and my family don’t understand any of it and can be cruel sometimes letting alcohol and marijuana be around me when I’m trying to stay sober. And they act like its no big deal but it’s very cruel and hard for me. I’m in mat treatment on 40mgs of methadone I used to take 140mgs but I’ve not been able to come down any closer to my goal which is not taking any methadone plz help me!

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
9:23 pm March 20th, 2017

Hi Wilburprentice. Call the helpline you see on the website to get in touch with a trusted treatment consultant who can answer your questions. The helpline is free, and available 24/7.

1:46 am March 22nd, 2017

Been up 12 days spending $8,450 meth herion and others

3:08 am June 23rd, 2017

Please my friend has no insurance and really needs addiction help. He uses crack alcohol and marijuana severely for years. He is crying for help.He said 30 days will help him detox.

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
11:59 am June 27th, 2017

Hi Elliot. First, start your search on SAMHSA’s treatment locator here:
You may add specific information such as insurance, sex, area, etc in order to narrow your search. Then, call the helpline on the website to get in touch with a trusted treatment consultant who can help your friend find the best program for him.

5:12 am June 25th, 2017

I am his sister Kathy and almost 10 years older. He is 50 years old and at the age of 6 he was hit in the head by a truck while coming out of church. Since then he has been academically slow, but very good in sports, then in 2015 while walking home a man came up from behind and beat him in the head until he was unconscious and left in the road for 7 bucks. During his teen years he began drinking but nothing compared to what he now uses. The neurologist stated if he drank prior we could expect it to intensify. Oh how true that statement was. He has no insurance not from me trying to get him disability but if anyone needs it it should be him. I am now looking at 60 soon and am taking care of both my mom who is now blind and a brother with both mental and alcoholism. As I speak I had to put him in jail because it never fails when he drinks he is physically abusive with me and I love him as if he had been my child. I am begging for a response to get him in to a inpatient treatment facility since he has no insurance. The D.A. stated if I can get him in a facility and he completes the program he can be home to help me take care of mom. He did quit drinking for 3 months until his last episode which I had to call the law. Even he is agreeing for treatment and when out will take antibuse. He is a good man but has never really been seen by both mental and a substance abuse clinic. Please help him which will also help the entire family. He has no children and never married. I always hear that people if they are not drinking how kind they can be. Well I would like to tell you every year he has our whole back yard as a garden which is about and half an acre and when the vegatables come in he takes most of what we cannot eat and goes thru the neighborhood and puts all different kinds in Walmart sacks on everyone’s door where we live and to top that everyone trust him to babysit or he will goout of his way to help the elderly with there yards, or till them a garden. I need anadvoate or someone to respond to this asap, so not only for him but for mom to be able to live her remaining life in peace. We live in Fayetteville, Tn. I would take him no matter how far the drive,so that would not be a problem. If there is an advocate to help me with my brother or a treatment facility, I promise it would be a miracle. It already is a miracle when he stated he needs help.

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
6:06 pm June 28th, 2017

Hi Kathy (Walter). I suggest that you call the helpline you see on the website to speak with a trusted treatment consultant who can help you find the best treatment program for your brother. Also, you may search on SAMHSA’s treatment locator here:

2:18 pm June 27th, 2017

Thank you, Lydia for your time and the web site. Any help now will possibly help him and our family in the long run. Mom needs to be at peace since she is 86 and blind. We all want him to be healthy and we would all have peace in the entire family which it effects us all. Once again thanks.

9:20 pm July 18th, 2017

My son-in-law has a drinking problem. It’s every day all day. He has tried AA but it didn’t work for him. He had no insurance but does have a full time job and cannot go into a rehab program. He needs a counseling on a steady basis.

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
4:42 pm July 20th, 2017

Hi Robbi. Call a toll-free Alcohol Helpline on 1-888-675-1820 to find a high-quality alcohol addiction treatment program.

11:59 pm July 24th, 2017

My son is in very bad need of help please call me he is out of control an he is hitting his wife an even threatened seaside to at time please please help us an he as no insurance we are desperate thank you

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
4:56 pm July 25th, 2017

Hi Ronda. You may do a research on SAHSA’s treatment locator:
Also, you may call the helpline you see on the website to get in touch with a trusted treatment consultant.

1:30 am September 19th, 2017


Lydia @ Addiction Blog
5:46 pm September 21st, 2017

Hi Sharon. Call the helpline you see on the website to get in touch with a trusted treatment consultant who can help you find the best treatment for your brother.

10:31 pm October 10th, 2017

I’m trying to get clean from heroin crack cocaine and benzos I have no id and no health insurance but I am in desperate need of help

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
10:30 am October 12th, 2017

Hi Sunnie. I suggest that you call the helpline to get in touch with a trusted treatment consultant.

7:11 am October 13th, 2017

My daughter is 35 yrs and has an addiction to a prescription drug. She has no insurance and no job. She is single and has no children. She really needs help getting off of this drug. She wants to . Where can she go as inpatient and stay long enough to get off and have a financially secure life?

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
2:04 pm October 13th, 2017

Hi Patsy. Call the number you see on the website to speak with a trusted treatment consultant who can help you find a rehab for your daughter. The helpline is free, confidential, and available 24/7.

2:24 pm October 30th, 2017

I am trying to find my 24 year old SON help for drug addiction..oxycodone…he doesn’t have any insurance..I am on Disability and can’t help with money but the way NJ is now and our GREAT(not!) Govenor Christy is advertising on TV about getting off these evil pills I am hoping maybe he can apply for Medicaid??? He finally WANTS to STOP!!! The withdraw is horrible tho and I have to help him figure this out!!!

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
5:47 pm November 1st, 2017

Hi Regina. You may do a research on SAHSA’s treatment locator:
Also, call the helpline you see on the website to get in touch with a trusted treatment consultant who can help you find a rehab program for your son.

6:13 am January 14th, 2018

My 28 yr old son needs help bad he is a alcoholic and has no insurance he has been gone on a 5 day binge he is crying out for help he has been in hospital 3 times with alcohol level over 400 he can’t hold a job down he wants and needs help bad please help him

Lydia @ Addiction Blog
2:56 pm January 16th, 2018

Hi Penny. Call a toll-free Alcohol Helpline on 1-888-675-1820 to find a high-quality alcohol addiction treatment program. This helpline is accessible 24/7 and gives you the chance to speak with trusted treatment consultants who can help you find an alcohol recovery program suited to your son’s individual needs.

Leave a Reply

Trusted Helpline
Help Available 24/7